Energy Loops and Spirals (see diagrams)
Loops and spirals are secondary currents of “Muscular” or “Organic” energy which help to align the body properly. These refined energy flows act as the fine tuning dials for energetic and structural alignment within the body.
Loops are circular flows of subtle energy that rotate through the vertical center line of the body and interconnect each other like gears. They flow in seven main centers of the body – the feet, lower legs upper legs, pelvis, mid-torso, upper torso/shoulders and neck, and the head. Loops generally rotate in opposite directions, just like two intermeshed gears. The Thigh and Pelvic loop are an exception. They rotate in the same direction, though there functions are in opposition to each other. The action of the loops is always initiated from the back side of the body, moving forward from the back to the front.
The seven pairs of loops are:
1. Ankle Loop – Starts at the base of the shin bone just above the ankle. It moves down the back of the heel, forward along the bottom of the foot, then back up through the center of the arch to the front of the shin.
2. Shin Loop – Starts at the back of the shinbone just above the ankle. It moves up the back of the calf muscle to the top of the shins just below the knee, forward through the top of the shin, then down the front of the shin back to the base of the shin.
3. Thigh Loop – Starts at the top of the thighbone in the core of the pelvis (pelvic focal point). It moves down the back of the thigh to the top of the calf muscles, forward through the top of the shin, and then up the front of the leg through the lower abdomen back to the Focal Point.
4. Pelvic Loop – Starts in the core of the abdomen in line with the middle of the lower spine and a place just below the navel. It moves down from the middle of the lumbar to the buttocks in line with the bottom of the sacrum, forward through the floor of the pelvis (pelvic focal point) to the top of the pubic bone, then up the lower abdomen to just below the navel. The Pelvic Loop has the same direction of rotation as the Thigh Loop. However, they have opposite effects on alignment of the body. The Thigh Loop moves the top of the thighs back. While the Pelvic Loop moves the top of the thighs forward in opposition.
5. Kidney Loop– Starts in the core of the abdomen in line with the middle of the
Lumbar and a place below the naval. It moves up the back from just below
the kidneys to the bottom of the shoulder blades, forward through the top of
the diaphragm (heart focal point) to the base of the sternum, then down the
solar plexus to just just below the naval.
6. Shoulder Loop– Starts at the center of the palate (skull focal point). It moves
down the back of the neck and upper back to the bottom of the shoulder blades
forward through the bottom of the heart and the top of the diaphragm, then up
the chest and throat from the base of the sternum to the upper palate.
7. Skull Loop– Starts at the center of the upper palate (skull focal point). It moves
back and up the back of the skull, forward over the top of the head, then down
the face to the upper palate.
adapted from John Friend's Anusara teacher manual